National Enterprise Corporation was established in 1989 by an Act of Parliament to serve as a commercial arm of the Ministry of Defence /Uganda Peoples Defence Forces (UPDF) and to produce goods and services that are beneficial to the Defence Forces and the genaeral public.
Its commercial ventures are undertaken through its Subsidiaries and Joint Ventures.
To be a sustainable commercial arm of the Uganda Defence Forces that generates goods and services for progressive social, economic transformation and development amongst the Defence Forces, Veterans and the Civil society.
To produce and provide goods and services for the benefit of the Defence Forces, Veterans of the UPDF and the general public.
- Productive and Self sustaining
- Selfless Service
- Trustworthiness and Integrity
- To invest in projects of National Security importance.
- To create a productive Security Force for the Nation.
- To promote technological transfer.
- To provide goods and services to the Security Forces and the general public.
- To support the welfare function of the Security Forces.
- To impart technical managerial and service skills to soldiers to productively utilise the idle capacity of the defence forces in times of peace.
- To equip soldiers with skills that could be gainfully used upon retirement.
- To create direct and indirect employment in the country
National Enterprise Corporation comprises of NEC Headquarters as a holding company, which acts as a coordinating unit for various subsidiaries to ensure good performance. This is effected through:
- The identification of business opportunities.
- Designing feasibility studies and business plans.
- Appointment of competent managers in projects and subsidiaries.
- Identification of sources of funding and approval of financial plans.
- Provisions of legal and secretarial services to the Corporation.
- Availing internal auditors and inspectors to all subsidiaries.
- Marketing the subsidiaries through their activities.
The Corporation activities are coordinated at the NEC Headquarters.NEC is supervised by a Board of Directors and managed on daily basis by the Managing Director (MD) who is responsible for the overall planning and implementation of Board policies. subsidiaries are headed by General Managers who are responsible for day to day activites of the subsidiary.
- Luwero Industries Ltd
- NEC Construction ,Works and Engineering Ltd
- NEC Uzima Ltd
- NEC Tractor Project Ltd
- NEC Tractor Hire Scheme Ltd
- NEC Farm Katonga Ltd